Sunday, February 13, 2011

Day Off

After just finishing up a busy case at work, our team manager let us take a day off from work "to rest and recover and do laundry."  I took off this past Friday and I thought I'd give you a play-by-play of my brief hiatus:

6:30 AM  Woke up, made myself two eggs and a protein shake, and went on a 3-mile run through Central Park.  Best way to start the day!  Just kidding -- I was still unconscious in bed.

10:00 AM  A respectable time to wake up during a vacation.  Too bad I only stirred momentarily because 3 cars were honking outside my window.  Ahh, city living.  Don't worry, I'm out again soon.

1:30 PM  I'm awake, finally, and feeling proud for polishing off 12 hours of sleep.  Take that, Claire!  I decide to make myself a turkey and cheese sandwich with turkey I bought last weekend at the grocery store that I promised Libby I would use to make lunches with instead of going out every day at work.  This the first time I've cracked open the turkey bag all week.  Dammit!  Another week, another bag of expensive Whole Foods turkey I'm going to have to throw away.  Next week I'll be better.

2:00 PM  A Few Good Men is on TBS -- nice!  This movie is scheduled to be on until 6 PM because of all the stay-at-home-mom-themed commercials every 15 minutes.  Oh well, nothing better to do, so I get cozy on the couch.  This movie is a classic.  Everyone knows the "you can't handle the truth" line but that entire speech by Colonel Jessep (Nicholson) at the end is amazing:


7:00 PM  Watch Jeopardy with Libs during dinner.  Get owned like always, this time by a history teacher from the Midwest who does this weird thing where she acts confused and unsure when she buzzes in yet gets it right almost every time.  I don't understand.

8:00 PM  Head out to the movie theater to see 127 Hours.  Libby and I are on a mission to see every best picture Oscar nominee.  Hall Pass is nominated, right?  The movie -- a true story about a mountain climber's incredible adventure to save himself from a fallen boulder that traps him for more than 5 days -- is excellent.  Danny Boyle, the director, describes it as "an action movie with a guy who can't move."  I can't recommend it enough.

And that's it.  That was my day off.  Looking back, it seems like I did absolutely nothing except for sleep and watch TV / movies.  Oh well, it was exactly what I needed.  I guess I can do my laundry next week.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you, Bren! Send your program manager my way. Sounds like you needed your sleep! Oh, and I was almost really impressed about the three mile run...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to see things haven't changed too much.

    ReplyDelete